RYA Helmsman Canal Boat & Narrowboat Training
Owner Owned Boats, Shared Ownership Boats & Holiday Hire Boats
JP Boat Training Services is an RYA recognised Training Centre offering Narrowboat training and canal boat handling training courses throughout the canal network.
Welcome to JP Boat Training Services, we hope you find our Narrowboat Training website interesting and informative.
Firstly we would like to introduce ourselves , we are Jim and Pat Hodges, happily married with a keen interest in narrowboating on the inland waterways. We have owned a 60ft cruiser stern Narrowboat for 12 years based on the chesterfield canal offering Narrowboat experience days, Taster days, Boat Handling Courses and RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Courses.
From January 2015 Jim now concentrates on all types of boat training courses on owner owned boats, shared ownership boats and holiday hire boats. If you are buying a boat then your next investment is being professionally trained in boat handling.
Jim is a qualified Helmsman Instructor and our business has been tailored to suit your needs, whether you want a basic one day boat handling course or would like a recognised qualification in boat handling. You may be buying a narrowboat or GRP cruiser, or even having a narrowboat holiday, whatever your needs, we can tailor the package to suit you. You can become a qualified helmsman, which is an RYA European recognised qualification, or simply start with basic narrowboat training (Taster Day) and then qualify if you wish for your Helmsman Certificate. Below you can choose the course which is most suitable for you.
- Just bought a boat? Have little or no experience? The two day Helmsman Course is ideal, the certificate proves you are a competent and safe boater. This course accommodates up to three students.
- Maybe you already own a Narrowboat or canal boat and want to 'rubber stamp' the experience already gained boating and become a qualified Helmsman, proving that you are a competent and safe boater.
- RYA Crew Course - A newly designed course for those who would like to become a safe and competent crew member. This is a one day course with a recognised RYA certificate on successful completion of the course. The crew course accommodate up to 3 students.
- Taster Day - You may feel you would like a one day course in boat handling, covering the basics (including lock management). Following this you will feel more confident to take it a stage further and qualify for your Helmsman Certificate. We train on all types of boats and is for two students.
- Narrowboat Holiday/Shared Ownership - the first few days of your holiday can be really stressful if you and your crew have little or no boating experience. Most hire companies give you a DVD to watch prior to your holiday and then an hour's tuition when you leave the boatyard. Why not turn the first full day of your Narrowboat holiday into a relaxing boat training day, enabling you and your crew to gain confidence and experience with a qualified instructor, thus enjoying your boating holiday, having been trained professionally to handle the boat and locks safely.
- Thinking about Buying A Boat but don't know anything about them or what to look for? Jim is always willing to come along with you and give advice and guidance, what to look for, what to avoid. It's always good to have sound advice/guidance from someone who has years of experience in boats, prior to investing in a boat survey and purchase of a boat.